Broken Arms Q&A Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2015 2:38 pm  #1

Broken Arms Ar10 jig video drill press questions.

Some of you may know we are currently manufacturing Broken Arms AR10 lowers right now.  We will also manufacture AR10 jigs.  But this time Im going to use a Home Depot/Lowes $130 drill press for the video.

Im trying to select the right drill press.  I know many of you have cut a lot of lowers with these.  So from your perspective, which is the best?  And why?

-None of these come with a "quill lock".  So I will use that screw on the side.  The one that removes slop in the quill.
Im leaning towards the Skil.  Please let me know why a difference choice is better.

Home Depot Skil http://www.homedepot.com/p/Skil-10-in-Drill-Press-with-Laser-3320-01/204504289?MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-204504289-_-N

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by Mike (7/16/2015 2:53 pm)

7/27/2015 12:55 pm  #2

Re: Broken Arms Ar10 jig video drill press questions.

I use a cheap craftsman 12 inch. If you have the depth stop that roatates just loosen it and run it backwards. And for the depth I run the quill all the way down and adjust my final depth with the table. Wish I was better at doing video. The Idea of a AR10 and jig is a killer.

7/30/2015 12:33 pm  #3

Mike,
I have done 3 lowers with that same Skil drill press. I thought about using that quill screw for a stop but wasn't sure how it would hold. I just mounted a couple pieces of aluminum angle on the side of the drill press and on the quill and a piece of 3/8" allthread rod between them with 3/8" nuts to lock it in place. I posted a photo of this earlier. Has worked great.

9/05/2015 10:44 pm  #4

You said that you are making the AR-10 lowers now but I don't see them on your site. Am I looking in the wrong place? Any updates on the AR-10 jigs?

Thanks!

9/22/2015 1:45 pm  #5

I too am waiting on the AR10 jig set.  Just so you know you have at least two buyers.  

1/18/2016 6:57 pm  #6

Completed my first AR 15 (5.56/223) Lower (no issues what so ever).

I will purchase the AR 10 (7.62/308) Lower Jig with AR 10 80% Lower when your new Jig is available.

1/21/2016 12:16 pm  #7

The Skil drill press looks an awful lot like the one I bought at Harbor Freight other than the one I got does not have the laser feature.  I would bet that a lot of these lower end tools are all made in the same factory in China and just have a different brand name slapped on them.  It seems like a lot of them vary only in small design features like having a work light or not, laser or not and different colors of paint or plastic on the knobs.

1/22/2016 4:14 pm  #8

Add ME to the .308 jig/lower combo order list! 
Any news on when they might become available?
Also, will they use any different bits or end mills than the AR15 lowers? 

Btw...this will be my first AR15 and/or AR10 build ever.  Really looking forward to getting started...just got the AR15 jig/lower/bit kit in the mail yesterday!  THANK YOU MIKE!!!!   ABSOLUTELY SUPERB QUALITY!!!!!!

9/28/2016 3:49 pm  #9

I have a Sears 12" drill press. One of the screws that attaches the plastic housing for the power switch is in a tapped through hole centered on the quill housing.  I replaced the short steel screw with a longer brass screw that can be tightened down against the quill.  It works great and doesn't mark the quill.

Board footera