Broken Arms Q&A Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2013 2:14 pm  #1

Is it legal?

Friends keep saying that I need to build my own gun.  Theytell me it is legal.  But i keep seaching the net and all I find is more people saying its legal.  Do you guys know where the laws say I can do this?  thanks

op

11/02/2013 2:30 pm  #2

Re: Is it legal?

Never take anyones word.  Only beleive sites that are ".gov".  Here is your question from the ATF Q&A section.  And thanks for visiting our little forum.

https://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

9. May I lawfully make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made for
resale?

Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the GCA
provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or
possessing firearms.

11/02/2013 2:31 pm  #3

opie357 wrote:

Friends keep saying that I need to build my own gun.  Theytell me it is legal.  But i keep seaching the net and all I find is more people saying its legal.  Do you guys know where the laws say I can do this?  thanks

op

It is legal to build your own gun.As long as you build it to the regulations of the state you are in.

11/02/2013 2:45 pm  #4

The only thing I would do. Is put some kind of ID on the gun to say that it is yours.Like laser etching your name and some kind of number that is yours.I.E. last four of your social.DL number.If you have no markings on the gun they dont know it is your.Then they can take it.Then you will be getting it back from the DA.Maybe.

11/02/2013 7:28 pm  #5

I agree with Shotgun. Just personalize it.

11/02/2013 11:06 pm  #6

Thanks for all the help.  I didn't know ATF had a helpful site.   And I will use my drivers license number on it. Any ideas in Bakersfield that does engraving?

11/06/2013 6:15 am  #7

You can shop it to me over here in San Jose and I can laser etch it for you complete with custom logo.
Here is an example of my work.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=824315

11/06/2013 8:49 pm  #8

Shotgun wrote:

opie357 wrote:

op

It is legal to build your own gun.As long as you build it to the regulations of the state you are in.

How about the formerly great state of California? Do you need to build a gun that meets the Draconian requirements with respect to semi-autos, i.e. certain "characteristics" with respect to grips and magazine capacity to name but a few?

11/07/2013 2:50 pm  #9

PatrickHenry wrote:

How about the formerly great state of California? Do you need to build a gun that meets the Draconian requirements with respect to semi-autos, i.e. certain "characteristics" with respect to grips and magazine capacity to name but a few?

The majority of this message board is from Cali.  Here is where you would locate those bullshit laws

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms

Board footera