Broken Arms Q&A Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2017 10:02 pm  #1

Flawed casting?

Hey,
Yes, as a new-be I think I've encountered some strange phenomena.
Here is the first 'experimental' lower I started, then noticed what I can only imagine is a flaw in the casting.
But, this was with another jig, not a Broken Arms precision instrument, so I stopped and after mulling it over for a while, obtained a BA jig and second victim, or experimental piece, before attempting to work on an anodized lower, part of an anodized 'matched' upper and lower.
Anyway, here is a photo, or link to a photo of the flaw in the magazine of the lower.
Any idea of what this is, and if it is a terminal flaw?  (It's junk, the initial drilling done in a milling jig didn't go so well!)

https://image.ibb.co/bTg4qk/20170410_124700.jpg

4/26/2017 2:04 pm  #2

Re: Flawed casting?

That looks to be some type of chemical on the bead blasted finish.  Have you tried sanding the area?  If you wanted to keep it with that blasted finish, Id contact the company that manufactured it.  Im sure they would swap it out, or bead blast it for you.

Last edited by Mike (4/26/2017 2:05 pm)

4/26/2017 7:30 pm  #3

Re: Flawed casting?

Thanks,
I haven't tried to sand the area or contact the seller.
The terms are that only untouched parts can be returned.
I can contact them, but, their jig splayed when tightening the side plates, which I didn't realize until it was too late, and, "Yes", the top was attached and tightened, etc.  
The result of which, was drilling the lower on an angle and a thin wall on one side, as well as a crooked FCG pocket.
So, it could look like I just screwed up, etc.
Anyway, I'll probe further and see if it is more than surface deep.
Thanks again for your reply.
R

Board footera