Broken Arms Q&A Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2017 2:01 pm  #1

slipping endmill bits??? how to avoid this a second time

OK some very awesome stuff from broken arms i got the full package deal with all of the goodies inside yesterday very very fast shipping only 2 days high five to B.A.A. for such fast shipping!!
    so anyways this is my first ar build and 80%lower everything was going real good taking my time on everything got down to the 4th plate was using the 3/8 end mill had made several pass slowly making my way down drooping a 1/4 inch at a time started to make my second to last pass set at a max depth of 1.200 so that way my last pass would only be taking .005 off but somewhere along the way the bit had fallen down digging a 1.500 +\- on one side you can see where it was a slow drop down starting at 1.220 and by the time i saw shaving falling from below the reciver it had gone to 1,5 and the chuck was still very tight i had to give it a bit of force with the chuck key to take it losse.
     so my question would be this how could this be prevented in the future and was there some way to possibly modify the shank on the bit so that its not so smooth and prone to falling?

5/26/2017 2:21 pm  #2

Re: slipping endmill bits??? how to avoid this a second time

and this will be my 2nd post that way i can upload a pic

5/26/2017 2:22 pm  #3

5/26/2017 3:30 pm  #4

If the chuck was tight, I would assume that the quill slid down.

I would tighten the quill lock, then try to move the quill to see if thats where the issue is.

5/26/2017 5:03 pm  #5

ive just got a cheap little ole 12" drill press as far as the quill goes i was haveing more of a riseing issue out of it where as in id set for a depth of .625 and after several times it would go up to like a depth of .600 and id have to relower it but that was with the regualr drill bits which in the case of not wanting to drill to deep it isnt such a bad problem to have 
idk maybe the end mill bit acted differrtly wuth the drill press never had played with em before on it

7/28/2017 9:29 am  #6

Mike wrote:

I would tighten the quill lock, then try to move the quill to see if thats where the issue is.

Neat trick. Lol I've never experienced that particular problem. But I have to agree with Mike that it is probably an issue with the quill lock loosening probably due to the vibration from milling on a drill press.(I accidentally punched a hole clean through the bottom of a lower due to this.) As far as the reverse problem your talking about I've experienced the end mill slipping due to not tightening the chuck enough and trying to "muscle" the cut rather then letting the tool do the work. I'm no expert but this is what I've observed in my limited experience.

Joe

10/30/2017 11:14 am  #7

Mike wrote:

I'm with Mike.  I had this happen twice - both times it was getting late and I was getting impatient.  Tried dropping the chuck too much. My humble recommendation is to just go way slower, and only remove a 1/16th to 1/8th at the bottom of the pocket per pass. I think mine actually dug in and burrowed down, pulling the arbor/quill down.  Afterward, I froze the arbor & chuck overnight, then hit the quill with a torch before pounding the whole mess back in.  I think I put some loctite on there too, so hopefully I don't need to take it out anytime soon.  Just my 2 cents.

4/12/2018 7:12 pm  #8

This is an old topic but I just saw it so I'd like to add my solution. My arbor had slipped more than once and was about to lock it in with Loctite sleeve retainer but then I'd never be able to remove it. The solution I found was to use a drill stop and mount it so it just clears the milling plate. Now the drill stop will hit before any damage is done to the receiver. It will however mar the top of the milling plate when this happens.

5/25/2019 4:46 pm  #9

Life will end on this planet when we move to another planet/solar system.  It will happen.  The planet will eventually be swallowed by the sun.  Whether life still exists on the planet as that time approaches is doubtful.

:D

12/23/2019 2:13 pm  #10

Have had this happen twice also and have successfully completed about 1 dozen of these lowers. It has happened to me in the same place as the picture as well. The first 1 just slightly went to deep but the last 1 did had this issue and looks almost identical to the picture. I was taking my time and being very patient with that 1 because I was doing it out of boredom, I checked my chuck and quill and everything seems normal. Just ordered 6 more so hopefully everything goes smooth. 

Board footera