Broken Arms Q&A Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2018 12:20 am  #1

Threaded hole @ rear takedown

I'm pretty familiar w/ BA & their lowers but what I just found was that tiny hole behind the end plate that holds the spring and detent for the rear take down is threaded.  Hoooooorah,  I have this detail on one of my builds but don't recall the size of the threaded plug that goes into that @ that location.  Can someone shed some light on the subject so I can find that part that plugs that spring and detent hole.  I find it a whole hell of a lot builder friendly once that spring & detent are captured once and for all.

3/10/2018 11:44 pm  #2

Re: Threaded hole @ rear takedown

We thread the rear detent hole with a 4-40 thread.  You should get the shortest set screw available (1/8 is best)

And don't forget to cut a few coils from the detent spring.

3/10/2018 11:54 pm  #3

We're better machinists than salesmen.  The threaded rear detent.  The 6-32 bolt catch screw/pin.  And the rear torsion screws are things good salesmen would mention on the website to sell more parts. lol.

3/11/2018 1:05 am  #4

That's right cut a few coils good looking out that slipped my mind thanks again M.  Things are running like a Swiss watch otherwise.  Uber fantastic tools & products.  Now that 1/8" 4-40  piece.....Is that something I'll find @ a local hardware store in the drawers in the bolt isle?  Or??? If not there where bouts in the east bay

DWF4H20

3/15/2018 9:52 am  #5

Well had trouble finding the exact part needed & mother & necessity inventions all that went ahead & made my own.  From A 4-40 brass slotted screw continued the curf w/dremel in a vice w/3 nuts on it. Cut head off used top nut as chase,cut to length bottom nut chase installed w/eyeglass screwdriver and bam 💥 works like a charm gotta trim the spring definitely & it may be a touch on the tight side but I'm leaving it.  I'd put some pics up but guess n/a. 
The only other viable option @ the time would have been stainless witch of course is a superior strength but figured it was overkill for the job and location.  Just an FYI peeps it makes changing the butt plate much easier

3/19/2018 1:14 pm  #6

Ill throw a quick video about this.  Ill post a link when its ready.

Also, you guys should check out Ace hardware.  Unsure if all do, but every ACE Ive been in has a great selection of nuts bolts screws etc.

Board footera