Broken Arms Q&A Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2020 4:21 pm  #1

308 jig potentially off??

I have an approved 308 SBR that has been shooting all over the place. I replaced the brand-new KAK barrel with a replacement from KAK, no change. I pulled the replacement barrel and shimmed it with some .002 stainless shim stock. STILL terrible accuracy. The gunsmith was brainstorming while we were chatting and asked how confident I was in the jig. Well, I can't say I'm not confident, but he said that if the pilot hole locations for the trigger & hammer pins were off, that could possibly cause some problems (if, for instance, it shifted the FCG up some).

Has anyone else run into anything like this? I have a hard time believing my lower is the problem - it functions flawlessly with all factory ammo I've shot w/ it so far.  Problem is, I remembered when I left the smith that this is my 2nd BA 308 lower ... the first ... ALSO the same terrible accuracy problems.

Hoping someone out there can help!

2/21/2020 4:30 pm  #2

Re: 308 jig potentially off??

To add, the gunsmith was too swamped to take it and do a thorough analysis, but said he will when he gets caught up. In the meantime, he gave me some homework to try:

1. Adjust the setscrew in the lower to take the little play out of the lower/upper
2. Try an entirely different lower (father-in-law is loaning me his soon)
3. Close the adjustable gas block and cycle by hand to see if anything is happening during the BCG traveling

3/12/2020 7:23 am  #3

It seems logical that the firing pin locator holes being "off" would cause problems.  But on the other hand, I cannot believe the entire mechanism for the FCG demands such tight tolerances.  It seems to me that .308 AR style rifles in general are NOT as reliable as AR15's.  My BA AR15 has NEVER had a single firing issue and is very accurate.  Still workin out the LPS kinks on our three nearly identical .308's though...  frustrating.  Hope you get it sorted out soon.

4/28/2020 4:16 pm  #4

If anyone stumbles across this thread in the future: looks like case closed. Put a BA barrel in a fresh upper, and it shoots any ammo I feed it. A little over MOA at 100 yds ... mostly due to my rust. So, safe to say the lower is fine. Can't say I'm real impressed with the KAK barrels.

Board footera