Broken Arms Q&A Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2020 7:28 pm  #1

Having light primer strike trouble with all three of our new LR308s

Hey guys,

We just finished initial testing of three nearly identical Broken Arms LR308 lower builds.  Unfortunately, we are getting about 30% light primer strikes equally on both factory brass (Winchester and Remington) and factory steel case (Tulammo) ammunition. 

We milled our 308 BA lowers in December while awaiting the arrival of our complete Aero Precision M5 uppers, BCGs, and lower parts kits purchased from Davidson Defense in Orem Utah.  On arrival, one of the handguards was installed with stripped and cross-threaded screws, so we sent that one back for repair/replacement.  In the meantime, the other two builds were completed and we began test firing to make sure everything cycled ok.  Right off the bat we encountered light primer strikes on both factory brass and steel case ammo.  When the third rifle came back with a new handguard, we test-fired it and discovered it also had the very same problem with LPS. 

The builds are identical with only one exception.  Two of the rifles use a Davidson Defense 3lb ultra match drop in trigger and the other one uses the standard trigger from the Aero Precision M5 standard parts kit.  The BCG's are United Defense brand, nickel boron coated, and supplied by Davidson Defense.  

We are now waiting on a reply from Davidson Defense as to whether they want us to send the upper builds back for testing.  However, in our discussions with them over the phone this past Friday they expressed concerns about our 80% lowers possibly contributing to the LPS problems and hinted that we might need to find another 308 lower locally to do our own testing before they could approve a RMA.  They were very good about repairing the initial problem with the stripped handguard screws, but they now seem reluctant to help us solve the LPS issue. 

So...   I'm wondering if any of you have an opinion about whether a LPS issue could be related to the lowers in some way??   I suspect they are just looking for some reason to avoid paying for the return and diagnosis time, but I'm just interested in getting these rifles to go BANG every time we pull the triggers. 

Any ideas on what could be causing the LPS issue and whether it could or could not be related in some way to the lowers would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks guys!

Last edited by Pisky (2/19/2020 4:41 pm)

2/21/2020 4:14 pm  #2

Re: Having light primer strike trouble with all three of our new LR308s

I'd be interested if you find anything out.  I have two 308 lowers from BA, and both rifles are terribly inaccurate. Finally gave up and took one to the gunsmith. He was too busy to keep it, but he gave me some suggestions -- one of which was to try a different lower (I'm looking for a factory 308 lower to borrow now). He was just brainstorming but suggested that if the jig was slightly dimensionally incorrect for the trigger/hammer pins, it might cause problems. He didn't seem convinced that was the problem, but said it was something to think about.  It was after I left that I realized I had two BA 308's and they are both equally inaccurate. In fact, I'm about to start a new thread on the subject.

3/12/2020 7:17 am  #3

Thanks for the comments, Flex.  I had a lot of trouble getting my hands on a .308 Aero Precision lower, finally got one from Brownells yesterday.  I will hopefully make it out to the range to see if that cures the LPS issue or not.  I will certainly report back here either way.  While I think it's possible the BA lowers could turn out to be the problem in my situation or yours, I highly doubt that is the case.  I would suspect a problem with the bolts, head spacing, or a gas porting problem.  I'm no expert, but that is what those who know far more than I do about it have told me. 

Since I first posted, Davidson Defense has totally backed away from offering me any support whatsoever.  They even refused to give me a WRITTEN explanation for why they would not authorize the return of my three upper builds.  But I will be filming my testing process to document the LPS issues and if this factory lower does NOT cure the problem, then I will be putting the ball back into their court squarely. 

8/23/2020 11:06 pm  #4

I like the occasional spat as much as any trader, but I see tons of cities going at each other.  Its a more than a little confusing.  What happened?

Board footera